Straightening teeth sure has gotten a lot easier and more high tech since I had braces . . . 35+ years ago!! Sam just got his new Invisalign system today. It is pretty cool. Just a series of trays, or what I would call retainers to help straighten his teeth. The process will take around two years, roughly the same timeline as braces, but you don't have to worry about wires and brackets and weekly checkups! Sam will have to wear his Invisalign about 22 hours a day. Only taking out for eating (and maybe playing clarinet). There are little tabs on his teeth that assist the retainer in moving everything around. His appointments are spread out further and no longer need to go in weekly, or even monthly. There is an app for the phone and a device to take photos of the progress (see photo) that gets sent into the orthodontist to check the progress. It takes a bit more work from the wearer (Sam), but in the end I think it will be worth it. I think Sam can do it. Although, he didn't start out so good with forgetting to download the app on his phone prior to the appointment. Kind of annoying and there were some embarrassing moments while he is sitting in the chair at the orthodontist trying to download the app. Of course it didn't go smoothly, but . . . in the end it all worked out. Hopefully the rest of the experience will go smoother than that rough beginning. Will keep you up to date on Sam's new and improving smile!!
* side note, I didn't know that when I made the appointment that this Monday was MLK day. I thought that I could make an early appointment and get him to school without missing too much class time. Of course this was a holiday and the early appointment time meant we couldn't sleep in! In fact we had to come home a day early from Girdwood due to the appointment. So much for our three day weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment